Being directly involved since its creation 10 years ago, I’m extremely proud having seen how Close the Gap evolved from a micro-player to an international impactful player in the field of the combat against the digital divide.
It’s amazing to emphasize that over one million unique users in Africa, mostly youngsters, are connected on a regular base with the globalized world, reaching out to 2000 projects. Close the Gap has managed to handle almost 250.000 computer assets since its creation.
Being myself over 80 years old and daily touching base with the help of my PC with the entire world on my various activities, I can testify that ICT 4 development is no longer a luxury good for the happy few, but should become a commodity for everyone, including the base of the pyramid, or how we call them as the ‘other 5 billion’ in this world. This is what Close the Gap is all about.
As a social entrepreneurial organization, Close the Gap is fully taking its responsibility on various fronts including their zero-waste-to-landfill policy. As the prime initiator Close the Gap created WorldLoop as an umbrella organization creating awareness and recycling action in developing countries.
WorldLoop is taking full responsibility on zero-waste-to-landfill practices for obsolete end-of-life ICT hardware in Africa. WorldLoop is therefore creating awareness and driving action towards environmental sound recycling in developing countries.
This project is now ensuring proper recycling of obsolete ICT hardware in Africa, as well creating significant amounts of new jobs, technology transfer, capacity building, foreign investment and huge awareness on environmental behavior.
- A special thanks to the KLM-Air France Group who have offered strategic and very important logistical support since the very beginning.
- A special thanks to Deloitte who has provided pro bono consulting and accounting services, ensuring transparency towards its stakeholders.
- A special thanks to Ricoh for their in-kind services and continued support.
- A special thanks to PFK for providing pro bono auditing services, ensuring transparency towards its stakeholders.
- A special thanks to the VUB for providing logistical assistance by means of office space and the use of the university’s common accommodation and services.
- A special thanks to RaboBank for their huge commitment of computer donations to Close the Gap, starting in 2011. Thank you RaboBank also for demonstrating a huge commitment to sustainable development by purchasing WorldLoop’s e-resource certificates.
- A special thanks to Flection also for being Close the Gap’s refurbishment partner since the very beginning and offering totally secure data wipe for all donated computers. Thank you Flection also for providing professional mindshare on the environmentally sound e-waste recycling processes.
- A special thanks to Close the Gap communication agencies for their creative and strategic in-kind support of the communication activities for Close the Gap.
Special thanks Close the Gap:
- Thank you Arrow, for providing Close the Gap’s logistical facilities since 2012 worldwide and offering secure refurbishment and full data wipe for all donated computers.
- A special thanks to DNS.be for their amazing strategic and financial commitment to Close the Gap’s projects in Belgium and in the East-African community.
- A special thanks to the CIO communities for promoting Close the Gap’s mission and activities within their networks. Worthwhile mentioning are CharITy, ADM, Executive Circles and Beltug.
- A special thanks to the CSR communities promoting Close the Gap’s mission within their networks.
- A special thanks to the CIO communities for promoting Close the Gap’s mission within their networks.
- A special thanks to the CSR communities for promoting Close the Gap’s mission and activities within their networks. CSR Europe, Business a Society, Kauri and MVO the Netherlands are clearly demonstrating empowerment towards Close the Gap.
- A special thanks to the Deloitte Belgium volunteers that did an amazing job in Tanzania for ICT for development empowered work.
Special thanks WorldLoop:
- A special thanks to Umicore for their strategic partnership with WorldLoop to close the loop on hazardous e-waste.
- Thank you to Recupel for supporting WorldLoop from the start by offering strategic insights and financial support.
- A special thanks to AIR, for their creative and strategic in-kind support of the communication activities for WorldLoop
- A special thanks to Coolrec for sharing their expertise and strategic in-kind partnership with WorldLoop to close the loop on hazardous e-waste.
- A special thanks to the WEEE Forum, for being a strategic resource to ensure the safest and most effective e-waste recycling processes.
- Thank you CharITy for supporting WorldLoop from the beginning, being an early adopter of the e-resource certificate.